Last minute moviegoers say they are using this time, between now and Sunday to see the movies that are nominated for Best Picture. While expert movie critics can make predictions of the winners, each year there are always a few upsets and surprises.
For Best Picture:
(In order of the number of nominations)
- The King’s Speech – 12 nominations
- True Grit – 10 nominations
- The Social Network – 8 nominations
- Inception – 8 nominations
- The Fighter – 7 nominations
- 127 Hours – 6 nominations
- Black Swan – 5 nominations
- Toy Story 3 – 5 nominations
- The Kids are All Right – 4 nominations
- Winter’s Bone – 4 nominations
- For a while the buzz surrounded The Social Network to walk away with Best Picture. However, the spotlight has shifted this week and sources say without question that The King’s Speech has been heard and it’s a favorite.
- Colin Firth – The King’s Speech
- Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network
- James Franco – 127 Hours
- Javier Bardem – Biutiful
- Jeff Bridges – True Grit
- Critics are pointing to Colin Firth’s role as King George the 6th in The King’s Speech and say it will likely win him Best Actor.
- Natalie Portman – Black Swan
- Annette Bening – The Kids are All Right
- Michelle Williams – Blue Valentine
- Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole
- Jennifer Lawrence – Winter’s Bone
- For Best Actress it is a close race between front-runner Natalie Portman in Black Swan with Annette Bening in The Kids are All Right. Although many say Portman is more deserving of the Oscar, there are rumors that Bening, nominated three times without winning, might take it.
Best Supporting Actor
- Christin Bale – The Fighter
- Geoffrey Rush – The King’s Speech
- Jeremy Renner – The Town
- Mark Ruffalo – The Kids are All Right
- John Hawkes – Winter’s Bone
- Christin Bale put up a hard fight as Mickey in The Fighter that may very well win him Best Supporting Actor.
Best Supporting Actress
- Melissa Leo – The Fighter
- Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit
- Helena Bonham – The King’s Speech
- Amy Adams – The Fighter
- Jacki Weaver – Animal Kingdom
- Experts “lock in” Melissa Leo in The Fighter as Best Supporting Actress. However, there is talk of 14-year-old Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit.
- Tom Hooper – The King’s Speech
- David Fincher – The Social Network
- Joel and Ethan Coen – True Grit
- David O. Russell – The Fighter
- Darren Aronofsky – Black Swan
- Tom Hooper and David Fincher are both favorites for Best Director.
The true talent of these professionals creates the excitement and suspense of who will be the winners. Ultimately it will come down to the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to be the final verdict.
Be sure to watch the 83rd Academy Awards on ABC beginning at 8:00 pm and check back for an update of the winners.
Jodi Goldberg, LI News Tonight